Sunday, January 8, 2012

Saag Tofu

Tonight the omnivore and I are making vegan Indian dinner for his parents. His mom is in charge of bread, and I've already been informed that there is one egg in the naan she's making, about which my omnivore said "it's just one egg in the whole batch, that's barely any in each individual naan piece..." Grrr.

My dish is saag paneer (tofu), which I made vegan/vaguely followed from an epicurious recipe

Saag tofu

3 large bunches of fresh spinach (I'm sure you can use frozen too)
1 onion diced
3 garlic cloves diced
1 jalapeno diced
2-3 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I didn't have ginger or nutmeg so this was the closest I could get)
2 tbsp water
1/2 a brick of tofu, cubed small after pressing
2 tbsp veggie oil or earth balance
1/2 cup or so of canned coconut milk (though if I could do it over, I would make my own cashew cream)
1/2 container of single serving plain soy yogurt
salt to taste

Tofu:
1. Boil salted water.
2. Once boiling, add the cubed tofu and turn off heat.
3. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
4. Drain and set aside

Spinach
1. Separate the leaves and the stems, wash leaves well.
2. Wilt the spinach in a pan.
3. Place wilted spinach on a cutting board and chop finely.
4. Leave to cool, after which the spinach must be drained

Everything else:
1. Saute diced onions and garlic in oil.
2. Add spices and water.
3. Simmer for 5ish minutes
4. Remove onto cutting board and chop as finely as you can (or if you have a food processor handy, use that)
5. Add the spinach to the garlic-onion paste in the frying pan, and add coconut milk and tofu.
6. simmer for 5 minutes
7. Add yogurt
8. Salt and respice to taste (be careful!)

let it simmer until ready to serve.

The Omnivore made dahl.

It should all be tasty.

- Hanna

No comments:

Post a Comment