Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bad vegan!!!

I'm back! and I must confess that I've been a TERRIBLE vegan. In late August I moved to Washington DC where I'll be continuing my dissertation research at the NIH, and for some reason, I'm finding it uber difficult to be vegan here. The holidays only worsened the problem because I decided not to be a pain in the ass and I basically ate anything that people put in front of me (I stayed vegetarian though). I ate mashed potatoes with cream and butter, gnocchi and gorgonzola (a personal favorite of mine), cheese enchiladas, ricotta tart, pirogis with sour cream (I don't like tofutti), and basically as much cheese as I could down. As a consequence, I've gained almost 20 pounds and I don't fit my pants any more. The holidays are over now, and because I feel like shit, I've decided that I should get back to my healthy vegan lifestyle. I've done really well for the last 3 days since returning from holiday vacation, and I expect to do well from now on. My partner seems to be on board, and I've asked him not to offer me food that isn't vegan because if I wasn't offered it I probably wouldn't have the impulse to say yes. It's really tough being vegan and dating an omnivore. I've also decided to stockpile healthy vegan snacks at work because there aren't many healthy or vegan options from the convenience store at the NIH even though the place is supposed to be dedicated to health! I bought larabars, walnuts, sesame sticks and carob and spirulina chunks, which should keep me well nourished. Here's hoping I can stick with it because I really do feel healthier and happier when I eat thoughtfully.

This week, I'll be posting about the following items from my vegan menu:
Enchiladas with roast veggies
Latkes
Saag paneer and dahl
and more...

No comments:

Post a Comment