Wednesday, December 22, 2010

eating poorly

I've been eating really poorly since finals started. I haven't really cooked in weeks and I am really feeling it. The boyfriend made something delicious though, so that's the recipe I'm posting. Dating him is making it hard to stay vegan. He buys delicious cheeses. I'm going to try to stay strong though.

Mushroom Risotto-
1 cup arborio rice
4-5 cups vegetable broth (you probably don't really need that much, but it's better to have too much than too little)
1 onion, chopped
1/2 package of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 package of porcini, sliced
1 dry morel, sliced
1 sun dried tomato, chopped up
salt

1. Bring the vegetable broth to a boil, then reduce heat and leave to simmer.
2. While water is heating, lightly saute the fresh mushrooms
3. Put the dry rice and onions into a large skillet or sauce pot, and put over low-medium heat.
4. Add one ladle of broth to the dry rice, cook until most of it is absorbed into rice, stirring frequently. Repeat twice.
5. Add the mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes.
6. Add another ladle of broth, and repeat until rice is cooked.

Anyway, despite not eating well, I've been having a great week. This weekend was particularly great: I finished my first semester of my PhD, saw Tron Legacy completely stoned, went to Northampton where I saw Abby and Charlie, bought Adrian a watch, saw Harry Potter 7, got a blender for x-mas, and got a hair cut. It was a great weekend, and then today I discovered peppermint chocolate soy milk and it blew my mind.

I also made delicious smoothies and pesto in my new blender.

Smoothie-
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen mangos
2 bananas
1 tbsp vegan vanilla ice cream
1 1/2 tsp powdered spirulina
1 cup water or vegan milk

Put it all in the awesome blender that Adrian got me, and liquify. Warning: It will be green.

Pesto
3 cups basil
5 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup sun flower seeds or walnuts
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt

Put the basil, garlic, sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, salt in the food processing attachment on the awesome new blender I got, and process first on a low setting and then move up. After the other ingredients are well processed, add the olive oil and process again for a short time. Freeze the pesto you don't end up using (which should be almost all of it).

Happy Holidays!!

No comments:

Post a Comment